ANGEL: ASEAN Network for Green Entrepreneurship and Leadership/ ANGEL is co-funded by the ERASMUS+ programme of the European Union / Capacity Building in the field of Higher Education. ANGEL project is a convergence of ASEAN partner institutions’ responses to the strong need for capacity-building in confronting challenges of environmental degradation. In addition, ANGEL is set to support graduates as well as disadvantaged groups to attain decent income based on quality employment, enhanced entrepreneurial-leadership skills and inclusiveness as gender and demographic divide exist and derail wealth creation across the ASEAN nations.
The mission of ANGEL is to engender impact and transformation for two major target stakeholders of each partner institutions in Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Vietnam and Malaysia. The first target group is the internal stakeholders namely students, academic and non-academic staff and top management. Within the context of Southeast Asian institutions, the green entrepreneurial mindset and transformational leadership skills and competencies are still new concepts and less implemented.
The second target group of ANGEL is the disadvantaged group among societies in Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Vietnam and Malaysia. This includes women and minorities, poor income groups in both urban and rural communities as well as people with disabilities (PWD).
The Asian partners are supported by universities and institutions from Greece and Cyprus.
ANGEL aims to build the capacity necessary in eleven ASEAN Universities for balancing the high potential economic growth and innovation in the partner countries with their lack of capacities in green entrepreneurship as well as resolving entrenched issues and challenges of poverty, low quality jobs in the informal sector, digital divide and leadership gaps.
Its objectives are:
- to address green entrepreneurship and transformational leadership and social innovation challenges,
- to build a high calibre network of future green entrepreneurial-leaders with effective and efficient style of management who could uphold ethics and good governance while able to connect with the local/regional and international market ecosystem with a multiplier effect in the ASEAN region.
Against the above general aims of ANGEL, the project specifically designs the following objectives in the hope to develop an innovative green entrepreneurial-leadership ecosystem that will foster:
- Guidance: an online guide will offer practical, personalized information for building and leading a green enterprise; a targeted training programme, complemented with personal coaching will support the creation of start-ups.
- Engagement: a university network will reach and mobilize both internal and external stakeholders through its ANGEL- Innovate Unit. Internal stakeholders would include faculty members, administrative staff, researchers, students and relevant external partners could be social entrepreneurs, start-ups and government agencies that relates to green entrepreneurship.
- Exchanges and sharing: the ANGEL-Hub will be a centre for the development of early-stage start-ups in green technologies, energy and sustainable development.
Support: the ANGEL-Enterprise team will have the mission to support and advance ANGEL in the long term through the development of expertise in the commercialization of Universities’ knowledge and technology, and partnership-building with the external regional/national/international entrepreneurial ecosystem.